U.S. Cellular is continuing its commitment to schools with the return of its national Calling All Teachers campaign in which it provides $1 million to teachers for classroom projects.
During last year’s Calling All Teachers campaign, the company funded 297 classroom projects in Wisconsin valued at $156,888, giving teachers some much-needed resources for their students. Milwaukee Public Schools received $28,626 for more than 50 projects.
In a partnership with DonorsChoose.org, the company and its local associates are encouraging Wisconsin teachers to register on the site now throughout the summer. This fall, teachers can post classroom projects for potential funding, and in September and October, U.S. Cellular plans to fund $1 million in projects.
DonorsChoose.org is a philanthropic Web site that helps public school teachers find money for classroom projects that exceed their limited budgets.
“Our associates live and work in these communities and we are excited to show our local teachers how much we appreciate them,” said Chris Rathsack, director of sales for U.S. Cellular in Wisconsin. “Children deserve the best and we believe helping teachers give them the best education possible is the right thing to do.”
“Teachers can request everything from textbooks to microscopes to art supplies,” said Charles Best, founder and CEO of DonorsChoose.org. “It’s important to give teachers the opportunity to have unique projects for their classrooms that help them provide creative ways for children to learn and be engaged.”
For more information, visit uscellular.com/callingallteachers.
The pinch of budget cuts has compelled many teachers to supplement shortfalls by purchasing basic supplies like crayons, textbooks and calculators with personal resources. A 2010 national survey* said K-8th grade teachers spend hundreds of dollars of their own money every year to help teach our kids. The study also said 70 percent of teachers believe their schools are financially unable to provide necessary teaching tools.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SMOKIN' ACES AND CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Stritch Community Orchestra seeks additional musicians
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Local Soccer Players Awarded Honor
- Homeopathic Doctor to Open Elements Massage in Mequon
- Get Your Kitchen Back to School Ready With Tips From Wisconsin Kitchen Mart
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. - Registration For Flag Football Now Available
- Glendale Seniors Begin New Year
- Big Daddy's Celebrates National Sandwich Month With A Sandwich Showdown Featuring Innovative Sandwiches From Guest Chefs Eric Greenspan And Ben Ford
- St. Robert School Centennial 5K | 2K Run/Walk- Sat., Aug. 29th