On Sunday, March 27, Nicolet High School will host the 10th Annual Brittney Gigl 3-on-3 basketball tournament. This fundraiser honors the memory of a girl who was an outstanding student and three-sport varsity athlete. Brittney died suddenly of viral encephalitis at the beginning of her senior year in 2001. “Brittney was a great kid who was always dedicated to doing her very best,” said Dann Jacobson, Brittney’s volleyball coach. “This is a way for her memory to live on.”
The tournament, called the BG3V3, was started by Brittney's closest friends as a way to raise money for a scholarship in her name. Since 2001 the Brittney Gigl memorial fund has awarded more than $50,000 in scholarships to worthy Nicolet seniors. Initially, a handful of donors contributed items and about $3,000 was raised each year. But the event has grown and in recent years, more than 100 donors have contributed to this effort, raising more than $10,000 each year.
Roughly 40 teams and nearly 150 people are set to play on Sunday, starting at 11 a.m. at the Nicolet H.S. gymnasium. The tournament features teams of current students, as well as parents, faculty, staff and alumni. The public is invited to attend. Admission is free, and contributions to the cause are welcomed.
"Sharing the day with friends, competing on the court, and raising money to
help kids pay for college is a great way to honor Brittney," Jacobson said.
>For more information, visit the website BG3V3.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Inspired by a Home Improvement Show? Do Your Homework.
- Elements Massage™ Collecting Toys for the Annual Marine Toys for Tots Campaign
- Local Author Shares Candid Insights, Wisdom, and Humor on Personal Fight with ALS in New Book – “Mom, You Peed On My Foot!”
- Nicolet Recreation Department Recgram - Upcoming Programs
- Join us for the Whitefish Bay Holiday Stroll!
- Seniors Holiday Luncheon
- St. Robert School Turns 100
- 13-Year-Old to Attempt to Break World Record at Holiday Folk Fair 5K Run
- Glendale’s Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony to Feature 40-foot Live Balsam Tree
- Local Contractor Joins Campaign for Hunger Relief