Author, Dennis McCann will be at the Brown Deer Public Library (5600 W. Bradley Rd.) to discuss his newest book, Badger Boneyards: the Eternal Rest of the Story on Monday evening, November 29th, 2010. The free program requires no advance registration and begins at 7:00 p.m. in the Library’s Community Room.
McCann, a former columnist for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, whose interests include Wisconsin history, travel and culture, combines the three in his latest book on Wisconsin cemeteries and the famous and infamous buried therein.
“From the Ornate Tombs of Milwaukee beer baron Frederick Pabst to miniscule ancestral plots, Wisconsin cemeteries house memories of war, families, tragedy, and community. Badger Boneyards: the Eternal Rest of the Story unearths the intriguing and often long-forgotten histories of more than thirty Wisconsinites past, from the hard-scrabble life of an old-time cemetery man to the many husbands of a nineteenth-century charmer. Football great John Heisman is buried here, as is the state's smallest man, a woman whose tombstone names her murderer, and the boy who would not tell a lie and paid the price. Yet even in a graveyard, peace proves hard to come by: Wisconsin's Native American tribes have fought for undisturbed grounds and proper burial, and the inhabitants of a Bayfield cemetery were unearthed by a raging flood. Longtime Milwaukee Journal Sentinel columnist Dennis McCann seeks out the stories, both tranquil and turbulent, in Wisconsin's cities of the dead.” (Book Jacket.)
Join us for what should be a very interesting discussion. Copies of the book will be available for sale and signing.
- The Comedy of Errors
- County Parks Offers Free Chess Camps
- J&B Construction Explains Ways to Boost Your Home’s Curb Appeal
- 24th Annual Parish Nurse Conference At Concordia University Centers On Hope and Help
- BloodCenter CEO announces retirement
- Former Marquette Warriors Mascot and Nicolet High School Students Broach Stereotypes
- Concordia Student Makes 6,500 Mile Journey To Commencement
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- Are you looking for great affordable day care option?
- Concordia University's Handbell Choir To Embark on 30th Annual Spring Tour