The Dominican Knights were not quite the team they were a year ago and this state Division 4 title was not the foregone conclusion that last year's was, so kudos to first-year coach Derek Berger and his squad for challenging the state's best and coming out on top in Madison last weekend.
Minutes, in effect the entire game, that Diamond Stone, Duane Wilson and Jack Jelacic each played in Dominican's state semifinal win over Cuba City on March 7.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
TEAM OF THE WEEK
The Homestead girls basketball team was a casualty ward all season, working with numerous freshmen and sophomores, playing games sometimes down six people and still the 8-15 Highlanders competed hard all winter. A talented 20-player freshmen class gives hope to coach Matt Heuser.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Nicolet gets a little momentum with win over West Bend East
- Shorewood, Whitefish Bay runners fought through pain to earn state track honors
- Former Nicolet standout pitcher Grodsky now in charge of baseball team
- Sports Shorts: June 4
- Nicolet track squads advance three entries to state meet
- Area netters adapt to new reality, advance several to state individual tournament
- Sports Shorts: May 21
- Homestead has just enough depth to pull away for fifth North Shore tennis title
- Cooperation helped Whitefish Bay softball tourney work despite weather
- Veteran Shorewood netters claim Woodland dual meet crown