In a stunning development, Nicolet High School has elected to cancel the varsity football season in 2014, citing a lack of numbers within the program. The season was slated to begin with a game against Waukesha South on Aug. 22.
A statement from Nicolet athletics director Kirk Krychowiak was released Thursday and reads as follows:
"Nicolet High School has always considered excellence in athletics to be a key component of the quality education we provide to our students. The success we have achieved in our athletic programs is a direct result of the enthusiasm of our coaches, students and the community.
"Due to an insufficient number of student athletes at the varsity football level, the district administration has decided not to field a varsity football team for the 2014 season. Nicolet will have Junior Varsity and Freshmen programs and we are making arrangements for senior athletes to play this season.
"We have started efforts to improve our football program moving forward to ensure that students will have the opportunity to play in the future. Plans are already in place to upgrade the school’s athletic facilities, for football in particular, which is sorely needed to improve the quality of the program and student participation."
Nicolet has not made the WIAA postseason since 1989, battling in a very difficult North Shore Conference that has produced state championships from Homestead (4) and Germantown (2) in the time period since, not to mention a Cedarburg program that went to the state final in 2010 and a Whitefish Bay squad that has reached Level 4.
Nicolet's enrollment of 1,085 students would project to a Division 2 standing in the football postseason out of seven divisions. While several program have canceled football because of lack of numbers in recent years, Nicolet is believed to be by far the largest to do so.
Nicolet was scheduled to face Wauwatosa East in the second week of the season before beginning North Shore play. Nicolet did not win a game last year and endured a season that was trying for more than just on-field struggles.
- Nicolet baseball team goes down fighting in regional loss to Kewaskum
- Whitefish Bay's Rybakowicz shuts out Brown Deer in regional semi
- MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Sports Wraps: July 14, 2016
- Nicolet baseball team sneaks out a couple of close ones
- Sports Shorts: July 7, 2016
- Sports Shorts: June 30, 2016
- Whitefish Bay baseball team bounces back with win over Nicolet
- Brown Deer, Homestead, Nicolet, Shorewood and Whitefish Bay Sports Shorts: June 23, 2016
- Nicolet baseball team making progress