In a stunning development, Nicolet High School has elected to cancel the varsity football season in 2014, citing a lack of numbers within the program. The season was slated to begin with a game against Waukesha South on Aug. 22.
A statement from Nicolet athletics director Kirk Krychowiak was released Thursday and reads as follows:
"Nicolet High School has always considered excellence in athletics to be a key component of the quality education we provide to our students. The success we have achieved in our athletic programs is a direct result of the enthusiasm of our coaches, students and the community.
"Due to an insufficient number of student athletes at the varsity football level, the district administration has decided not to field a varsity football team for the 2014 season. Nicolet will have Junior Varsity and Freshmen programs and we are making arrangements for senior athletes to play this season.
"We have started efforts to improve our football program moving forward to ensure that students will have the opportunity to play in the future. Plans are already in place to upgrade the school’s athletic facilities, for football in particular, which is sorely needed to improve the quality of the program and student participation."
Nicolet has not made the WIAA postseason since 1989, battling in a very difficult North Shore Conference that has produced state championships from Homestead (4) and Germantown (2) in the time period since, not to mention a Cedarburg program that went to the state final in 2010 and a Whitefish Bay squad that has reached Level 4.
Nicolet's enrollment of 1,085 students would project to a Division 2 standing in the football postseason out of seven divisions. While several program have canceled football because of lack of numbers in recent years, Nicolet is believed to be by far the largest to do so.
Nicolet was scheduled to face Wauwatosa East in the second week of the season before beginning North Shore play. Nicolet did not win a game last year and endured a season that was trying for more than just on-field struggles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 26, 2015
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 19, 2015
- Third time is not the charm, Nicolet falls to Germantown again
- Germantown boys volleyball team earns state berth with win over Nicolet
- Whitefish Bay boys soccer team rolls on with 7-0 win over Nicolet
- Nicolet tennis squad comes up short in state team tourney
- Mowers sends Nicolet cross-country van heading north to state meet
- Nicolet tennis squad prepared for run at state team title
- Germantown boys volleyball team fights off Nicolet to secure NSC lead
- Tradition or not? NSC cross country meet to be held Friday (1)