One of the game’s most exciting moments took place when senior quarterback Brandon Kappel completed a pass to Bryce Bowen, who fumbled the ball to sophomore teammate Justin Wallace, a lineman who scooped the ball and chugged his way to the end zone for a hair-raising touchdown.
“That gave us a little bit of life, gave us a little bit of confidence,” Kozaczuk said.
Junior Tyler Crass would keep the fans on their feet when he intercepted a Lutheran pass and set his team up for another drive, down just two scores.
The comeback, however, ended there.
“We need to execute better,” Kozaczuk said. “We came out in the first half and we didn’t execute our defensive game plan the way we were taught all week in practice. We tried to play with instinct and tried to play off our feelings as opposed to our training.”
In the second half, Nicolet improved and made a game of it.
“When we came back out in the second half, we started doing what we were taught to do,” Kozaczuk said. “Things started to happen the way we thought they would go.”
Nicolet practiced for Lutheran to also run the ball.
“We had prepared for that; we just didn’t execute too well,” Kozaczuk said.
Lutheran running back Tyler White racked up 157 yards on the ground to go along with three touchdowns.
The loss puts Nicolet 0-2 in league play and 2-2 overall. The Knights take on Port Washington on the road (1-3 overall, 0-2 in league play) next week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 26, 2015
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 19, 2015
- Third time is not the charm, Nicolet falls to Germantown again
- Germantown boys volleyball team earns state berth with win over Nicolet
- Whitefish Bay boys soccer team rolls on with 7-0 win over Nicolet
- Nicolet tennis squad comes up short in state team tourney
- Mowers sends Nicolet cross-country van heading north to state meet
- Nicolet tennis squad prepared for run at state team title
- Germantown boys volleyball team fights off Nicolet to secure NSC lead
- Tradition or not? NSC cross country meet to be held Friday (1)