The Shorewood School Board on Thursday selected University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Professor Paru Shah to fill the vacant School Board seat until the April election.
Shah, who moved to Shorewood in July 2011, is a political-science professor at UWM with research focused on the impact of racial/ethnic inequalities on politics in urban settings. Most recently, her research has examined when and where racial and ethnic minorities gain elected office, and what policy effect their presence has, according to her application to the School Board.
Because the majority of her research focuses on local elected offices - both school boards and city governments - she said in her application that she is familiar with the structures and institutions.
In addition to her academic interests, Shah said she had a desire to serve the community.
Before attending school for her PhD, Shah worked for an AmeriCorps program. She also served on the board of directors at Rape Victims Advocates.
- Glendale officials balk at allowing chickens
- Smulyan resigns from Fox Point-Bayside School Board (1)
- Top beer gardens in the North Shore suburbs
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Nicolet student explores naturalist ancestor
- Nicolet finds buyer for athletic field, renovations coming to high school, Glendale park (3)
- North Shore Police Reports: May 19, 2016
- North Shore Public Forum: Against weed killer; school district shared services
- Glendale run funds police vests, veterans memorial
- Fox Point-Bayside hosts 'meet and greet' with new administrators (1)