The Shorewood School Board on Thursday selected University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Professor Paru Shah to fill the vacant School Board seat until the April election.
Shah, who moved to Shorewood in July 2011, is a political-science professor at UWM with research focused on the impact of racial/ethnic inequalities on politics in urban settings. Most recently, her research has examined when and where racial and ethnic minorities gain elected office, and what policy effect their presence has, according to her application to the School Board.
Because the majority of her research focuses on local elected offices - both school boards and city governments - she said in her application that she is familiar with the structures and institutions.
In addition to her academic interests, Shah said she had a desire to serve the community.
Before attending school for her PhD, Shah worked for an AmeriCorps program. She also served on the board of directors at Rape Victims Advocates.
- Nicolet School Board approves shared superintendent agreement with Fox Point-Bayside
- North Shore Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- 26-year-old killed in shooting on Glendale border
- Teachers continue scholarship program on their own
- Shared superintendent proposal between Fox Point-Bayside and Nicolet weighed
- Fox Point-Bayside board wants to hire Nicolet administrators under shared services agreement (1)
- North Shore Police Reports, April 21, 2016
- Old car seats will be collected in Brown Deer Saturday
- Video: Bavarian Bierhaus to open with new beer hall, brewery in Glendale (3)
- Video: Stormonth students take virtual trip around the world