The Shorewood School Board on Thursday selected University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Professor Paru Shah to fill the vacant School Board seat until the April election.
Shah, who moved to Shorewood in July 2011, is a political-science professor at UWM with research focused on the impact of racial/ethnic inequalities on politics in urban settings. Most recently, her research has examined when and where racial and ethnic minorities gain elected office, and what policy effect their presence has, according to her application to the School Board.
Because the majority of her research focuses on local elected offices - both school boards and city governments - she said in her application that she is familiar with the structures and institutions.
In addition to her academic interests, Shah said she had a desire to serve the community.
Before attending school for her PhD, Shah worked for an AmeriCorps program. She also served on the board of directors at Rape Victims Advocates.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Glendale cop shot, injured after chasing alleged Porsche thief
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 6, 2015
- Glendale evaluates city hall improvements
- 'Milwaukee lion' spotted in Glendale (2)
- North Shore Police Report: July 30
- North Shore communities react to state ban on municipal home inspections at time of sale
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting
- North Shore Police Reports: July 23, 2015
- Glendale man turns craft beer into specialty malt vinegars
- Estabrook Dam opponents submit petition to Glendale (3)