The Shorewood School Board on Thursday selected University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Professor Paru Shah to fill the vacant School Board seat until the April election.
Shah, who moved to Shorewood in July 2011, is a political-science professor at UWM with research focused on the impact of racial/ethnic inequalities on politics in urban settings. Most recently, her research has examined when and where racial and ethnic minorities gain elected office, and what policy effect their presence has, according to her application to the School Board.
Because the majority of her research focuses on local elected offices - both school boards and city governments - she said in her application that she is familiar with the structures and institutions.
In addition to her academic interests, Shah said she had a desire to serve the community.
Before attending school for her PhD, Shah worked for an AmeriCorps program. She also served on the board of directors at Rape Victims Advocates.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Glendale resident chosen as 2013 volunteer of the year
- Nicolet graduate heads to Israel to continue scientific studies
- Police Report: June 17
- News & Notes: June 12
- Bavarian Soccer Club getting dome, artificial turf
- Hilton conversion concerns Glendale Plan Commissioners
- NSFD's unfunded retirement liability looms
- Glendale could review its RV storage rules
- Wingstop owner asks for extended hours
- Glendale faces major revenue losses