Jim Gales wrote about his concern with reading the "police blotter" in the Jan. 24 issue of NOW. I, too, have a concern about repeated driving while intoxicated arrests. State Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, and state Rep. Jim Ott, R-Mequon, are working on this in the Legislature right now. BUT, prison is not the answer for this problem.
Police officers and judges have made known that we will fill our jails with these offenders if we crack down as we should. At more than $30,000 a year this becomes very costly! Besides, many of our prisons are schools for crime, and prisons do not have good facilities to treat alcoholics. A better way to handle these offenders is to have them wear an ankle bracelet where they are constantly monitored and allow them to work (and pay taxes) and keep them incarcerated on weekends.
Those arrested will be required to go to meetings such as Alcoholics Anonymous or other help groups during their sentence time. I hope that the legislation proposed in Madison on this issue considers these options.
Mr. Gales indirectly blames Kohls for shoplifting. That is totally unfair. He also notes that it must be unsafe to shop there and he considers carrying a gun to protect himself from crooks. This is absurd and certainly not helpful!
The courts certainly need to address this shoplifting issue, however, and "banning" people from Bay Shore or any other shopping center does not work unless you put teeth into it.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Glendale cop shot, injured after chasing alleged Porsche thief
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 6, 2015
- Glendale evaluates city hall improvements
- 'Milwaukee lion' spotted in Glendale (2)
- North Shore Police Report: July 30
- North Shore communities react to state ban on municipal home inspections at time of sale
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting
- North Shore Police Reports: July 23, 2015
- Glendale man turns craft beer into specialty malt vinegars
- Estabrook Dam opponents submit petition to Glendale (3)