If parents across the North Shore saw their child test "proficient" instead of "advanced" in math and reading when looking at results of the 2012-13 Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Examination, there's a reason for that.
WKCE tests students in grades three through eight and grade 10 in math, reading, language arts, science and social studies.
The test places students in four performance categories, "minimum," "basic," "proficient" or "advanced." This year, parents may have seen their child drop a category in math and reading. That does not mean the student is not working at their same level. The drop was caused by a change in the state's assessment standards to a more rigorous scale, which affected the number of students in the categories.
The questions are the same, but the scale to which the results are measured has changed. The state is working to change test questions in coming years. The test time will also move from fall to spring as it rolls out the Smarter Balanced Assessment to be implemented in the spring of 2014.
North Shore school districts' WKCE Results
Percentage of students Proficient and Advanced in reading/math
|Fox Point- Bayside||96.7/95.6||63.7/73.8||93.8/90||59.8/81.5||91.9/91.9||66.7/78.3||93.8/89.6||60.6/69.6||93.5/91.3||72.7/67.6||96/94.9||68.7/76||N/A||N/A|
|Glendale- River Hills||88.4/85.3||52/57||98.1/86.6||33.3/46.2||85.3/73.6||42.6/54.6||87.8/78.7||41.1/46.7||90.9/81.9||45.9/54.1||88.2/79.6||42.9/50.6||N/A||N/A|
|Maple Dale- Indian Hill||87/82.6||45.1/60.8||97.5/95.2||42.5/44.7||86/85.9||50/71.7||98.1/88.7||63.3/73.3||92.5/87.5||67.3/74.5||94.1/92.2||60/57.5||N/A||N/A|
Source: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- North Shore Police Reports, May 5, 2016
- Glen Hills recognized as a Green Ribbon School
- Update: Missing 15-year-old girl has been found
- Nicolet School Board approves shared superintendent agreement with Fox Point-Bayside (1)
- North Shore Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- 26-year-old killed in shooting on Glendale border
- Teachers continue scholarship program on their own
- Shared superintendent proposal between Fox Point-Bayside and Nicolet weighed
- Fox Point-Bayside board wants to hire Nicolet administrators under shared services agreement (1)
- North Shore Police Reports, April 21, 2016