If parents across the North Shore saw their child test "proficient" instead of "advanced" in math and reading when looking at results of the 2012-13 Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Examination, there's a reason for that.
WKCE tests students in grades three through eight and grade 10 in math, reading, language arts, science and social studies.
The test places students in four performance categories, "minimum," "basic," "proficient" or "advanced." This year, parents may have seen their child drop a category in math and reading. That does not mean the student is not working at their same level. The drop was caused by a change in the state's assessment standards to a more rigorous scale, which affected the number of students in the categories.
The questions are the same, but the scale to which the results are measured has changed. The state is working to change test questions in coming years. The test time will also move from fall to spring as it rolls out the Smarter Balanced Assessment to be implemented in the spring of 2014.
North Shore school districts' WKCE Results
Percentage of students Proficient and Advanced in reading/math
|Fox Point- Bayside||96.7/95.6||63.7/73.8||93.8/90||59.8/81.5||91.9/91.9||66.7/78.3||93.8/89.6||60.6/69.6||93.5/91.3||72.7/67.6||96/94.9||68.7/76||N/A||N/A|
|Glendale- River Hills||88.4/85.3||52/57||98.1/86.6||33.3/46.2||85.3/73.6||42.6/54.6||87.8/78.7||41.1/46.7||90.9/81.9||45.9/54.1||88.2/79.6||42.9/50.6||N/A||N/A|
|Maple Dale- Indian Hill||87/82.6||45.1/60.8||97.5/95.2||42.5/44.7||86/85.9||50/71.7||98.1/88.7||63.3/73.3||92.5/87.5||67.3/74.5||94.1/92.2||60/57.5||N/A||N/A|
Source: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 26, 2015
- Bayshore Town Center hires new general manager
- Rumage Around: Getting to know you, my readers
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 19, 2015
- Oak Leaf Trail extension links Milwaukee to Ozaukee County (1)
- Glendale passes ordinance pertaining to vicious dogs
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 12, 2015
- Glendale budget moves up slightly
- Former Whitefish Bay resident returns to discuss her new novel
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 5, 2015