Bayside - No one was harmed this afternoon when Bayside police and the North Shore Fire Department evacuated residents and staff of the Elizabeth Residence after a fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage.
According to an NSFD news release:
The fire department and police were immediately dispatched to the Elizabeth Residence, 9279 N. Port Washington Road, at approximately 2:50 p.m. after a 911 caller reported fire on the second floor. The call was immediately upgraded to bring additional staff and equipment due to the large population of elderly and disabled residents in the assisted living facility.
Arriving police officers reported heavy smoke coming from the second floor of the building. The first NSFD unit on the scene quickly determined the automated sprinkler system had put out the fire, though there was still smoke in several corridors of the building. Fire companies shut off the sprinklers, though a significant amount of water, fire and smoke had extensively damaged the area surrounding the unit where the fire began.
Police and fire department commanders evacuated and accounted for staff and residents of the building.
NSFD determined the kitchen of the affected unit to be the source of the fire and is investigating the exact cause.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Glendale considers proposal for 83-room Residence Inn by Marriott hotel
- North Shore Police Reports: July 2, 2015
- Glendale mourns loss of longtime clerk Susanne Hanaman
- Three-day bus stoppage sends North Shore riders scrambling for transportation alternatives (1)
- Burglary suspects allegedly target Bay couple at funeral
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- St. John's Lutheran will celebrate 150th anniversary on Sunday
- Fourth of July events in the North Shore
- Music in the Glen kicks off Sunday
- Nicolet School District partners with colleges to offer transcripted courses (1)