Glendale — The student believed to have written the note which precipitated a bomb scare and evacuation of Nicolet High School on Oct. 16 has been expelled from the district.
At the second of two closed-door hearings in the last week, the School Board on Tuesday expelled the student, whose identity wasn't released by the district.
On Oct. 16 a "vague" note, perceived to be threatening, was found and prompted a schoolwide lockdown. A bomb squad sweep of the building turned up two suspicious packages. Nicolet's roughly 1,100 students were evacuated, after which classes and district activities were canceled for the day.
The two packages found by the bomb squad were later determined to be non-threatening.
The student expelled this week was later arrested and referred to juvenile authorities on a federal bomb threat charge, Glendale Police said.
"(The threat) was an action that really impacted everyone negatively in the community, as a whole," School Board President Marilyn Franklin said, "and we don't want to see any acts like this happening again. ... It was a very unfortunate situation. The School Board took it very seriously."
Superintendent Robert Kobylski said the expulsion sends an important message.
"The bottom line is safety and security of our faculty and staff are of the utmost importance to us, and we'll continue to emphasize that moving forward," Kobylski said. "Hopefully last night's actions send that message."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brown Deer working to close sale on former American TV & Appliance site
- Student radio station gets fuzzy reception in Whitefish Bay
- Mobile apps? There's a class for that at Nicolet.
- Nicolet robotics team takes second in competition
- UW Marching Band visits Nicolet this weekend
- Brown Deer approves amendment to TIF district
- North Shore Police Reports: March 5, 2015
- Elmbrook promotes Pilgrim Park Middle School's Mike Sereno and Mark Peperkorn
- Nicolet alum makes a name for herself at Northwestern
- Soup sampling fundraiser benefits Wauwatosa Woman's Club