Updated: Packages found at Nicolet after bomb scare were 'non-hazardous, everyday items'
Nicolet High School was evacuated late this morning after a suspicious note was found, prompting a police sweep of the building which turned up two suspicious packages.
While police won't say exactly what was in the packages, Captain Mark Ferguson of the Glendale Police Department described the contents as "non-hazardous, everyday items."
"Anytime you have a note like that, and you find something that's not supposed to be there, we consider that suspicious until we can determine whether or not it's a danger," said Ferguson.
Once the order was given to clear the school, students walked to nearby Cardinal Stritch University and were bused to Glen Hills Middle School. Students were later allowed to go back to the high school to retrieve their cars, but could not enter the building.
At a news conference, district Teaching and Learning Director Brenda Turner said a "vague" note was found which prompted a police sweep of the high school. Police found a package in a boys bathroom on the first floor and a second suspicious package on the second level, F-wing of the building.
Classes were cancelled for the day. Turner said she expects classes to resume tomorrow.
Ferguson credited Nicolet students and staff for fully evacuating the building within an hour of discovering the note.
"That's pretty darn quick," said Ferguson.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police situation closes I-43 ramp
- Glendale hotel could be flipped into apartment complex
- North Shore Kids Expo connects families with activities
- County Board Chair Lipscomb claims 43 parks in danger of being sold
- North Shore Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016
- Rumage Around column: Classmates help bring more color to boy with color blindness (1)
- Franklin honored for 40 years of school board service in Fox Point-Bayside, Nicolet
- North Shore Police Reports, Jan. 28, 2016
- Nicolet presents 'James and the Giant Peach' this weekend
- North Shore Police Reports, Jan. 21, 2016