Glendale — Hofbräuhaus Milwaukee, a German-style restaurant complete with brewery and outdoor beer garden, is slated to open in June 2014 at the site of the old Bavarian Inn, 700 W. Lexington Blvd.
The Plan Commission on Tuesday unanimously approved the restaurant, which will be operated by Cincinnati, Ohio-based Bistro Group.
According to a business plan submitted by Bistro Group, the remodeled space will consist of roughly 24,0000 square feet, split between a main upper level and exposed ground level. The final design includes a private banquet hall, remodeled kitchen, dining and beer hall, a new brewery and bar, as well as a gift shop and private dining hall. The west side of the building will be remodeled into a multitier outdoor beer garden. Daily live entertainment will consist most of German-style bands.
Hofbräuhaus Milwaukee is the next in a series of similar brewpubs opened by Bistro Group throughout the United States, starting in Newport, Ky., in 2003 and spreading to Las Vegas in 2004, Pittsburgh in 2009 and most recently in Chicago in January.
Bistro Group estimates the Hofbräuhaus will employ between 100 to 200 people and could serve up to 500 patrons indoors and an additional 203 on the terraced beer garden.
"The product strategy is to combine the on-location brewing of hand-crafted beers, the preparation of first class German cuisine and specialty American dishes, with the Bavarian hospitality known as 'Gemutlichkeit'," wrote Bistro Group in its proposal to the Plan Commission.
According to the business plan, a German brewmaster will be on-site to ensure the brewing conforms to "Reinheitsgebot," the Bavarian Purity Law dating back to the 16th century that dictates beer ingredients and brewing standards.
Bavarian Soccer Club is selling the Bavarian Inn to Bistro Group, but will retain the nearby soccer fields and Heidelberg Park, the site of Glendale's annual Oktoberfest celebration. The formal land divisions and liquor license transfer will be taken care of in the coming months, City Administrator Richard Maslowski said.
— Michael Meidenbauer
- Nicolet School Board approves shared superintendent agreement with Fox Point-Bayside (1)
- North Shore Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- 26-year-old killed in shooting on Glendale border
- Teachers continue scholarship program on their own
- Shared superintendent proposal between Fox Point-Bayside and Nicolet weighed
- Fox Point-Bayside board wants to hire Nicolet administrators under shared services agreement (1)
- North Shore Police Reports, April 21, 2016
- Old car seats will be collected in Brown Deer Saturday
- Video: Bavarian Bierhaus to open with new beer hall, brewery in Glendale (3)
- Video: Stormonth students take virtual trip around the world