Mequon — Donges Bay Elementary School fifth-grader Bailey Timmer was honored with the Hackett Family Memorial Award on the last day of school Thursday, recognizing her positive interactions with students and staff.
Timmer is the 10th student to receive the award since it was first awarded in 2006. The award is presented to a fifth-grade student who has demonstrated extraordinary effort, compassion, and service in promoting and demonstrating the inclusion of persons with differing abilities. One of Timmer's teachers commented that Timmer is "willing to drop what she's doing to lend a helping hand to anybody. She is empathetic, a natural leader and caregiver."
The Hackett Award is named in memory of Keegan and Maggie Hackett, Donges Bay students who died of a rare genetic disorder called Sanfilippo syndrome. Donges Bay teacher Colleen Avila said the Hacketts shared their unconditional love and kindness with everyone they met.
"Maggie and Keegan's interactions with the children and adults in the school served as an example of how important every member of our community is, no matter how big or small," Avila said. "We honor the memory of Maggie and Keegan by recognizing the random acts of kindness and friendship seen in students throughout their years at Donges Bay."
In recognition of her random acts of kindness, Timmer received a gift card, her name on a plaque in the school lobby and also on a brick surrounding the memorial site in the Donges Bay Courtyard. The bricks are meant to symbolically depict a pathway of acceptance and inclusion for all students of differing abilities.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- Whitefish Bay leads state in ACT scores
- North Shore Police Reports: August 21, 2014
- Mayoral race gets early start in Glendale
- Fatal shooting in Bayside eyeglass store
- Voter turnout high in North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: August 14, 2014
- Tuesday morning traffic delayed due to I-43 crash
- Man robbed after meeting woman on Plenty of Fish dating website