Mequon — Donges Bay Elementary School fifth-grader Bailey Timmer was honored with the Hackett Family Memorial Award on the last day of school Thursday, recognizing her positive interactions with students and staff.
Timmer is the 10th student to receive the award since it was first awarded in 2006. The award is presented to a fifth-grade student who has demonstrated extraordinary effort, compassion, and service in promoting and demonstrating the inclusion of persons with differing abilities. One of Timmer's teachers commented that Timmer is "willing to drop what she's doing to lend a helping hand to anybody. She is empathetic, a natural leader and caregiver."
The Hackett Award is named in memory of Keegan and Maggie Hackett, Donges Bay students who died of a rare genetic disorder called Sanfilippo syndrome. Donges Bay teacher Colleen Avila said the Hacketts shared their unconditional love and kindness with everyone they met.
"Maggie and Keegan's interactions with the children and adults in the school served as an example of how important every member of our community is, no matter how big or small," Avila said. "We honor the memory of Maggie and Keegan by recognizing the random acts of kindness and friendship seen in students throughout their years at Donges Bay."
In recognition of her random acts of kindness, Timmer received a gift card, her name on a plaque in the school lobby and also on a brick surrounding the memorial site in the Donges Bay Courtyard. The bricks are meant to symbolically depict a pathway of acceptance and inclusion for all students of differing abilities.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Vets to be honored in Glendale on Saturday, Nov. 1
- North Shore Police Reports: October 30, 2014
- What you need to know for Tuesday's election
- Special triathlon memorializes Nicolet student
- Shorewood Intermediate School Principal Mark Harris dies after medical emergency
- North Shore Police Reports: October 23, 2014
- Glendale woman charged as part of prescription fraud ring
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014
- Agencies provide help to community's hungry