Our privacy policy has changed. By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Dismiss

Falling kegs lead to surprise carbon monoxide discovery

Nov. 15, 2012

North Shore Fire Department crews inadvertently discovered elevated levels of carbon monoxide at the Sprecher Brewery in Glendale while tending to an employee injured by several falling kegs.

According to an NSFD news release:

Bayside dispatch received a call at 4:05 p.m. yesterday requesting an ambulance for an employee who had been injured by several falling kegs.

While tending to the employee, a carbon monoxide warning device attached to a medical kit sounded, indicating elevated carbon monoxide levels. Crews on scene retrieved additional meters from the fire engine, finding readings as high as 120 parts per million (ppm) throughout areas of the structure.

The brewery was evacuated and ventilated. No employees complained of symptoms or requested evaluation from NSFD crews.

The source of the carbon monoxide was determined to be a forklift. NSFD advised brewery representatives not to use the forklift within the structure.

Advertisement

Local Crime Map

CONNECT    

Advertisement

Your Photos