Glendale - As a result of an estimated 14.4 percent reduction in state aid, the Glendale-River Hills School Board will likely increase its levy by 2.1 percent in the upcoming 2012-2013 school year.
The board approved a tentative 2012-2013 budget last week of approximately $16.1 million, a reduction of nearly $130,000 from the 2011-2012 budget. The proposed budget, which includes $600,000 from a 2011 referendum, is projected to add approximately $330,000 to the district's fund balance.
The projected 14.4 percent reduction, released by the state Department of Public Instruction on July 1, marks the third consecutive year the district has had to deal with a double digit cut, Superintendent Larry Smalley said. He said the levy is where that money will need to come from.
"(The increase) is a direct result of the fact that we're losing more in state aid," Smalley said.
Factoring in the reduction, the total amount of state funding will be in the range of 6.5 to 7 percent of the district budget. Smalley said local tax revenue accounts for approximately 85 percent of the district's budget, discounting state and federal aid and grants.
The School Board will further consider the proposed budget at its annual budget hearing on Aug. 22.
- Michael Meidenbauer
WHAT:Glendale-River Hills district annual budget hearing
WHEN: 7 p.m. Aug. 22
WHERE: Glen Hills Middle School, 2600 West Mill Road, Glendale
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Glendale evaluates city hall improvements
- 'Milwaukee lion' spotted in Glendale (2)
- North Shore Police Report: July 30
- North Shore communities react to state ban on municipal home inspections at time of sale
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting
- North Shore Police Reports: July 23, 2015
- Glendale man turns craft beer into specialty malt vinegars
- Estabrook Dam opponents submit petition to Glendale (3)
- North Shore Police Reports: July 16, 2015
- Rescue of three Glendale girls in Wyoming brings sigh of relief to Whitefish Bay church