Glendale - As a result of an estimated 14.4 percent reduction in state aid, the Glendale-River Hills School Board will likely increase its levy by 2.1 percent in the upcoming 2012-2013 school year.
The board approved a tentative 2012-2013 budget last week of approximately $16.1 million, a reduction of nearly $130,000 from the 2011-2012 budget. The proposed budget, which includes $600,000 from a 2011 referendum, is projected to add approximately $330,000 to the district's fund balance.
The projected 14.4 percent reduction, released by the state Department of Public Instruction on July 1, marks the third consecutive year the district has had to deal with a double digit cut, Superintendent Larry Smalley said. He said the levy is where that money will need to come from.
"(The increase) is a direct result of the fact that we're losing more in state aid," Smalley said.
Factoring in the reduction, the total amount of state funding will be in the range of 6.5 to 7 percent of the district budget. Smalley said local tax revenue accounts for approximately 85 percent of the district's budget, discounting state and federal aid and grants.
The School Board will further consider the proposed budget at its annual budget hearing on Aug. 22.
- Michael Meidenbauer
WHAT:Glendale-River Hills district annual budget hearing
WHEN: 7 p.m. Aug. 22
WHERE: Glen Hills Middle School, 2600 West Mill Road, Glendale
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: September 18, 2014
- Head of health department steps down
- National Merit Semifinalists announced
- North Shore Police Reports: September 11, 2014
- NSFD approves 2% budget increase
- Split opinions on Estabrook Dam solutions
- North Shore Police Reports: September 4, 2014
- Video: Nicolet's 'Robot Yount' will throw first pitch at Brewers game
- Orthopaedic hospital to build new office building
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014