Glendale — For me, 2010 was the year that dead people showed me the light.
I had a 14-year career in human resources. My last job was as the head of human resources for a small airline. When that airline stopped flying in 2008, my job went with it. I had just given birth to my second child. The economy was collapsing, and I was at a crossroads.
So I started a blog about job-hunting. I'd spent 14 years hiring people, and I thought my advice might be useful to the millions of people looking for jobs. I blogged for a whole year, and then I stopped. I had realized that I enjoyed blogging, but I didn't enjoy talking about HR anymore. I needed to make a change.
In the meantime, I had re-discovered the two big black file cabinets in my office. They were full of family history. I had been an avid genealogist in the 1990s, when I was single and childless. In 2000, I got married, and then my career took off, and then I had two children. I hadn't really focused on my research for nearly 10 years.
It was time.
In January 2010, I re-launched my blog, Clue Wagon, to talk about my research and my career change from corporate HR executive to professional genealogist. I've been taking classes, visiting archives and stomping through cemeteries. Instead of spending my days hiring and firing, I work with dead people. They're much lower maintenance, and they never invite me to three-hour meetings or fill up my voice mailbox.
I'm amazed and grateful for the events that brought me to this point.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- Whitefish Bay leads state in ACT scores
- North Shore Police Reports: August 21, 2014
- Mayoral race gets early start in Glendale
- Fatal shooting in Bayside eyeglass store
- Voter turnout high in North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: August 14, 2014
- Tuesday morning traffic delayed due to I-43 crash
- Man robbed after meeting woman on Plenty of Fish dating website